Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Chamonix day 5

Poor Dio. He slept poorly last night due to his cough and woke up with a fever. He could hardly get out of bed, let alone ski. He has either been sleeping or resting the whole day and ate just a few bites of food in the evening. He just finished Ender's Game and Zari is SO excited that he read a real book and that she can talk about it with him.

We decided to ski at the nearby resort because we could easily come home during lunch to check up on him. I was feeling a bit out of sorts after my fall yesterday--it did a serious blow to my confidence levels. I can ski nearly anything yet a stupid easy slope did me in!

We had a few hours of decent skiing--some icy runs but we eventually found others with good snow. But at this resort, the struggle is with long lift lines and a lack of chairlifts and too many t-bars.

When we came home for lunch, I decided to stay and give my body a rest for the afternoon. Eric took the 3 girls to our favorite resort about 10 minutes away. They said the snow is getting progressively worse. There hasn't been any snow here for a long time and the temperatures have been rising, creating increasingly icy runs.

We likely will have worsening conditions the next two days. It's disappointing because last year was amazing. We were skiing in fresh powder most of the time.

My parents had a great day exploring Chamonix. They took the cog train up to the glacier at Montenvers (where we hiked almost 7 years ago). They were astounded to see hundreds of people skiing down the entire glacier. It takes the day to ski/climb/hike down and must be done with a guide, a climbing harness, crampons, ropes, and other specialized gear.

My arm is turning lovely shades of purple and green, eliciting horrified and disgusted noises from my children. Nothing hurts unless I bump the bruised part, which is good.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...