Monday, November 21, 2022

Breech tour du monde, day 11: Travel to Taranaki

It was a long travel day for us, especially David. He left early in the morning to go back to Auckland and track down our simulator, which has been stranded in customs for the past week. He managed to find it and got back to Hamilton by 12:30 pm.

Meanwhile I cleaned the airbnb and checked us out, then walked over to the birth center. I dropped off a copy of the book for their staff and asked if I might stay in their waiting room until David came back. They kindly said yes, which meant I didn't have to stay outside in the rain for 3 hours.

Our drive down was long and slow but beautiful, through winding roads and dramatic scenery, through rain and mist and clouds. Everything was shades of green and silver. As we drove into New Plymouth, the clouds dispersed and we saw the sun! I saw sun the morning I arrived and two other times for a brief period between rain storms. We felt so lucky to have a clear (but windy) evening.

As soon as we dropped our things inside our airbnb, I headed out to walk along the coast. This is a dramatic, rough coast. I would not want to swim here. Besides the pounding waves, the water is brown and murky and the beaches are studded with rocks far out into the water.


I hadn't read the fine print of this apartment, and the kitchen has no stove, no oven, and no hot plates. Nothing! Just a microwave. We had just bought all sorts of food for making the next several days' worth of meals and now we can't cook any of it.


However...the hot tub in the back yard definitely makes up for the lack of a true kitchen. I relaxed in it this evening.

Kristine Marie, this photo is for you: I am showing off my color-changing nail polish. This is silver and turns pink in the sun.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...