Monday, October 23, 2023

American Ethic

I woke up at 4:15 am with a headache and couldn't get back to sleep. I read for a while and dozed off shortly before my 7 am wakeup. The headache has persisted all day. I managed to exercise and work through it, but by time dinner was over, I had to lie down and dim the lights.

While everyone else was away at soccer or play practice this evening, Ivy and I went to a drive-through trick-or-treat. However, we didn't have a car so we improvised and took our bikes. We told everyone, "We are dressed up as a car--look, there are 4 tires between the two of us!"







We came home laden with popcorn, candy, science projects, and loads of plastic junk that will go into the landfill within a few days. A portrait of rural America at both its best and worst: community engagement, disregard for the environment, friendliness and goodwill, food that brings disease, all with the car as king. I don't mean this in a holier-than-thou sense, more as an observation of these characteristics that are all intertwined. It's not all good but it's not all bad either.

And typical of our family, we find a way to participate and still do things differently!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...