Sunday, October 01, 2023

Weeding, watching shows, sewing...and watch out for ground wasps!

I got several hours of weeding and landscaping done this morning. When I was in the middle of transplanting hostas, I got stung by a wasp. Aie! I didn't think too much of it--just a stray wasp, no fun. Then I dug up the next hosta and got swarmed! After several stings, I figured out that I had inadvertently dug into a nest somewhere in the ground. I fled the scene with several painful stings later.

I'm not sure how to get rid of them--there's no visible nest. I'd normally just leave them be, but it's right in the area where I need to do some major landscaping and transplanting!

Eric picked Inga up from her sleepover shortly before noon. We had a relaxing afternoon, sitting around and watching shows, reading, whatever. Ivy had a late afternoon game.

I finally made good progress on a duvet cover for Ivy's room that has been more than 10 years in the making! When I was pregnant with Ivy, I hand-dyed linen in 8 different shades of turqouise, from the palest sky to deep aquamarine. Each tone had eight 18" squares, from which I was planning on doing a sort of twist-pouf-thing in the middle and pleats on the sides, then attaching them together.

Well, that was many years ago and it never worked quite right. So I packed the fabric away in a container. I've brought it out a few times over the years, scratched my head, and then put it back away. But I finally figured out a solution, involving lots of stitched pleats. Ivy may finally get a duvet cover before we go to France!

Middle school soccer is officially over, and high school soccer will be by the end of this week. Our lives should calm down significantly. We're still trying to find alternate teams for everyone else. Ivy's team will convert to an indoor team at the end of October. Dio may join the same club as Inga. And Zari...still working on that, but she will probably play indoor soccer 2x/week at the university and then do some one-on-one training with Eric.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...