Thursday, January 05, 2023

French apartment renovations, Day 583: Paint stripping, snowstorms, and flight delays

14,781 steps

Well, my parents didn't arrive today. In fact, they are still stuck in Minnesota! They got on the plane yesterday...and waited...and finally had to deplane. The plane never took off due to a snowstorm. They stayed the night in the Twin Cities and went back to the airport today to find a flight.

With an entire flight being cancelled the day before, everything today is now oversold. My parents were offered the possibilty of staying overnight one more night and flying out tomorrow with some nice incentives. They're still waiting for final word on whether they'll be leaving today or tomorrow.

I spent most of the day stripping paint. Ugh. The first few layers came off easily, bubbling up within about 20 minutes. But then the last layers were something completely resistant to the caustic, smelly paint stripper! I've never seen anything like it. I waited hours and hours, and still the paint would only come off just a little bit.

4 coats of stripper and 4 passes with the electric sander later, the doorframe is stripped. I need to do one more pass with 180 grit and get into the corners and cracks with an angle sander.


But the doors...they are still in their "bath" of paint stripper and I'll see how things look tomorrow.


I went running in the morning despite being very tired. I'm glad I went. Then we had a nice walk this evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...