Thursday, January 26, 2023

French apartment renovations, Day 605: A mummy in my ceiling

9,511 steps

I found a mummified mouse in one of the rim joists. I carefully placed it on a scrap of wood so I could show the kids.


We got two more squares completely finished and started boxing in the last big beam. It's really happening!




I ordered 6 paint samples in various shades of green. Here, the paint stores can't just mix up the samples right then. No, that would be too simple. You have to walk to the paint store, order the samples, then they call you several days later when they are ready so you can walk back to the store and pick them up.

I made a stencil pattern based off the Renaissance desk we purchased a while back. I did a rubbing of the wood inlay, traced it, scanned it, and then converted it via Photoshop into a black & white graphic. Then for fun a did a mockup of the colors we would like on our ceiling.



The stencil itself will be more elongated, with a fancy design in the center, then long parallel lines with lots of "empty" space in the middle, and the final design with the fleur de lys at the end. (See, for example, a historic ceiling done in red & white or another historic ceiling in pale blue-green and gold.)

There was a big event at Cavigal that Eric and the girls all went to--and it turned out to be chaotic and not very interesting for the kids. Inga came home stressed about a test she hadn't yet studied for. I finally sent her to bed and told her we'd get up a few minutes early to finish studying.

My breech books (EU edition) arrived this morning! I now have 100 books that I have to store (60) or ship (40). I hope to sell lots more because there's not a lot of space in the apartment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...