Friday, January 20, 2023

French apartment renovations, Day 599: Crown moldings done in boxes #1 & 2

3,917 steps

We finished all of the decorative 2-part moldings in the first two boxes (of six total). So exciting to see it coming together! I got most of it caulked, too. There are a few parts left that have big gaps that still need to be back-filled with spray foam, then caulked.



I printed out a crown molding miter table, as well as a diagram of left- and right-side cuts, which was extremely helpful.


At the end of the day, I sprayed the next set of beams with Xylophene (wood worm treatment). It's really stinky so I had everyone else clear out. I suited up and covered myself head to toe: long sleeve shirt, another long sleeve shirt, bandanna, goggles, cartridge respirator, rubber gloves. As soon as I was done, I stripped everything off and washed anything that could go in a washing machine.

Eric and my dad loaded up all the old windows and a huge pile of wood scraps and took them to the garbage station (déchetterie). It's so satisfying to start cleaning things out!

Our wood flooring arrives on Monday. We decided to buy more of the same merbau that we installed in Le Catamaran. Not quite the intricate Versailles parquet that we were hoping for, but this was a good compromise. Amazing quality, beautiful, good price, and we've already installed it once before so there's no learning curve.

As soon as I got out of the shower, I had to bring Dio to soccer practice because Eric had a meeting. I went to that consignment store but alas, both rugs were already sold! I'm so mad at myself that I didn't buy them when I saw them. Then, I discovered another amazing furniture consignment store that's even better--a bit more selective. Prices are still quite reasonable for comparable items but there's a lot less junk to wade through.

Every time I bring Dio to soccer, I'll swing by those two stores (less than 2 km from his soccer field) to keep an eye on what's new. I chatted with the store owner for a long time and showed him pictures of our renovations, including the moldings that we had installed today. His daughter mostly runs the store as well as an attached bead shop, which has an amazing selection.

As soon as I came home, Eric left to play soccer. It's cold out! The rest of us finished off the tiramisu, played card games, and watched another episode of Poldark.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...