Friday, January 06, 2023

French apartment renovations, Day 584: Groundhog day in the airport

4,078 steps

Yet again, my parent's flight is delayed and changed. They were re-booked to go through Paris, but then their flight was delayed so much that they would have missed the connection. Last I heard they were re-re-booked to go through London Heathrow. But my mom said, "We did get warm cookies at the Hilton."

Warm cookies > missing your flight 2 days in a row?

I spent all morning stripping paint. After at least 4 coats of paint stripper, I got sevearl layers off, but thelast layer didn't soften even the smallest bit. So I've decided that the doors will have to be painted...but at least most of the paint is gone and all of the paint is cleaned out of the moldings and intricate parts.

The doors got a good cleaning and stripping with white spirit and steel wool, then a thorough sanding.

I sanded the cracks of the door frame with an angle sander.

I stripped the small section of tomettes (hexagonal tiles) left in the alcove.

I stripped 3 elaborate pieces of molding left over from the old wood ceiling. They had already been stripped with denatured alcohol and then sandblasted, but I was hoping to get them a bit lighter with paint stripper. Nope--not any difference! They will be dark.

Anyway that was my morning through 1 pm. Very messy and stinky.. Somehow a big glob of paint stripper landed on the top of my shoe, worked its way through the shoe and then through the sock, and then started burning the top of my foot. It was slow and gradual and then bam! It was really burning. I hopped in the shower but the skin was already damaged. I spread numbing cream on it and after sevearl hours the sting has lessened.

I worked on breech stuff all afternoon, ending with a debrief at dinnertime.

Zari, Dio, and Inga are at an activity (raclette + movie night) so they won't be home until close to midnight. Ivy and I watched a few more episodes of Les Jeromes, a renovation vlog that makes us feel lazy in comparison. They are two friends redoing an entire chateau themselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...